Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Blog New Recipes

Hello my name is Rich I am starting this blog because of all the bad recipes I see on the internet. For years I thought of writing a cookbook but I think I may have to wait a bit longer for that. And besides blogs are so much fun who could resist. Well my history with food is as home cook with some experience working in Mom and Pop eateries and pizza parlors. My grandfather was a good cook and worked as a short order cook during the Depression he also was born in Sicily. He and his wife my grandmother introduced me to the wonderful world of pasta along with my equally astute mother. This pasta thing on the internet bothers me as every week there is some watered down "cheese" recipe for some kind of penne. When I was a kid if asked about Penne we would have said who's she? Seriously though I think many of these quick recipes for pasta are highly unhealthy and unoriginal. So I'll offer my own to for your enjoyment a bit healthier and maybe a tad colorful. I would introduce the most basic and easiest of these with the fact that my aforementioned grandmother would make you eat this even if we had went to McDs and brought home burgers. As a child forced to eat a pasta seemed odd at best but today it makes more sense then I could have realized at age 6. My grandmother obviously was nutritionally minded without knowing it! Well here goes my basic pasta dish for you that should be easy for anyone.





Spaghetti and Peas (or any old pasta but no Penne please best with small pasta or broken spaghetti)

1lb of dry pasta
1 can of peas (the good brand not cheap store brands) or 1 bag of frozen peas
1 medium onion
5 cloves (more or less but more is better) of garlic
two punches of salt (rough tablespoon in the palm)
punch of pepper
1 cup olive oil (not extra virgin )
1 1/2 cans of tomato paste (two if you like it red)
1 tablespoon of oregano and one of basil (dry or fresh as it's best!)

Boil 6 quarts or better of water with one of the punches of salt in it in a large stock pot

When the water has boiled toss in the pasta (Cooking time depends the pasta used however since this more of  soup we want that pasta very Al Dente as it will soften in the broth)

in a large sauce pan heat the olive oil to medium low heat

Dice the onion very small into tiny pieces and place into the hot sauce pan cooking for several minutes of course don't burn them so depending on your pan or heat source lower if needed.\Chop garlic and toss in with onion for minute.

Then take paste out of the cans and place water in the cans to get all that good red into the pan.Add oregano and basil.

The water will help not burn things trust me so let it cook for about 10 minutes then drain most of the water out of the pasta without removing the pasta from the pot. Take the contents of the saucepan and put in with the pasta and between 3 and 4 cups of water.(The reason behind variation is some like it soupy some do not.)

Let it sit for few minutes and enjoy with some grated cheese Viola!

2 comments:

  1. Now I don't mean to say there aren't good recipes there are indeed many great recipes on the internet for free. There are just many lame quickie recipes I think this one here is the best and easiest quick pasta on earth but that's just me .Thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete